Gum Disease Treatment all services
Gum disease, Gingivitis, or periodontitis is an insidious disease that attacks the supporting structures of the teeth. You can have great teeth, no cavities, and yet lose them to gum disease as you age. This is the primary reason that you need to stay regular with your dental visits. Most people after 40 who lose their teeth lose them to periodontal disease. Take it seriously!
The warning signs of gum disease
If you notice any of the following signs, you probably have gum disease and need treatment:
- Gums that bleed easily.
- Red, swollen or tender gingiva.
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth.
- Pus between the teeth and gingiva, when the gingiva is pressed.
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste.
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating.
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
- Any change in the fit of partial dentures.
What is periodontitis?
Periodontitis is a chronic inflammatory disease, only it causes the supporting structures of your teeth to dissolve away. It can go on for years before you ever notice any symptoms, and the first symptom may be loose teeth. If you wait until you have symptoms, it may be too late to treat the disease and you may have to just have your teeth extracted.
Treatment for periodontitis
- At first, you need to get a deep cleaning, called "scaling" or "root debridement" that goes under your gum and removes all of the calculus (tartar) and microbial debris from the tooth surface. This cleaning is usually spaced out over two to five appointments, and is done with anesthetic.
- The initial treatment may also include some medications. Periodontitis responds usually to light doses of antibiotic to help resist the bone destruction and also antimicrobial irrigation under the gums.
- You will need to have great home care habits, and a professional tooth cleaning more often. Rather than having this done every six months, you might now need to have it done every three months. Additionally, more time will need to be allotted for this cleaning.
Your hygienist will have to have more than the ordinary level of expertise to handle your case.
|Full Mouth Scaling|
|Scaling / Root planing / Quadrant|
|Soft tissue graft|
|Osseous Surgery per session|
|Crown Lengthening Chair side|
|Crown Lengthening Hard tissue|